Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Commitment Issues

Although my recent marriage might make it appear otherwise, I have commitment issues. I have never been good at sticking to one thing for very long. Even when I was a vegetarian, I cheated on occasion. Diets never work for me, neither do exercise regimens. And regular prayer? I think I wake up most mornings with the intent to start a new prayer life. Then I go back to sleep or realize I am late for work and get busy and a whole day passes without prayer. Well, I guess I probably manage to pray little prayers everyday, such as, "Gee, God, nice sunset!" or, "Thanks for this good dinner." Rarely, however, do I sit and really have a conversation with God. The listening part seems to escape me. I'd say I have a txt relationship with God most days.

me: Thx 4 snrse & no trafic
God: Wlcm! Call me!


Later in the day:
me: Gd, hlp me hv patience w wrk
God: Call me!

When my husband gets home:
me: Thx 4 the gr8 hubbie!
God: I do what I can! Call me!

You get the picture.

What can I do to get over this problem with commitment to making myself better?
Maybe that's why so many Christians listen to Christian music all the time -- it's passive prayer. Then again, maybe they like it.

Check out these cartoons



They have some great commentary on the church.

No comments: