Monday, February 25, 2008

Drama, drama, drama

Why is it that drama is so attractive? Why is it that conflict is so sexy?
I just finished watching Brothers & Sisters (which, by the way, might be my favorite prime time drama -- it's some damn fine television) and found myself falling in love with the drama. The cheating couples were positively titillating. The relationship drama made me feel romantic -- what in the hell is wrong with me? Why am I so attracted to drama?
I spent a good 20 years -- from the time I started sprouting boobs until after I met my husband -- cultivating drama. I didn't realize it. I thought that the drama just kept happening to me; that drama hunted me down and found me where I lived. Then I took time off from dating and realized that I chased drama. I would find myself alone at home and bored and wanting to go out and create drama. Even when I began a relationship with my hubby, I would find ways to create it. I was out on a date with him and asked him if I could invite a much reviled ex to the wedding. Even thought I had realized that I craved drama, I couldn't always stop it. It took so much pausing and stopping myself over and over again to stop the drama. And yet, I still find it so attractive. The idea of all of it seems so sexy. Is it me, or is it us?

No comments: